We’ve just received word of a new fatty on the block.
Shand are well know for their beautiful handmade steel bikes which hail from Livingston, Scotland but until now they hadn’t turned their skills to a fatbike.
They describe themselves as “an independent UK bike manufacturer located in central Scotland manufacturing adventure touring bikes inspired by Scotland’s roads, trails and mountains…..the company offers a range of hand-built steel production frames alongside one-off custom frames…..”
Ok, so let’s take a look:
Ooooh, it pretty!
I’m a sucker for a simple steel frame and this one is as good looking as they get.
Some vital statistics for your viewing pleasure:
- 4.8 maximum tyre clearance
- Suspension corrected geometry (compatible with RockShox Bluto suspension fork)
- Paragon Polydrop dropouts (interchangeable dropouts for Rohloff, Singlespeed and 1x derailleur options)
- Columbus Niobium heat-treated steel tubeset
- Shand suspension corrected 12mm thru-axle rigid tapered carbon fork (graphics painted to match frame colour)
- Gates Carbon Belt Drive compatible (splitter concealed within Polydrop dropout)
- Dropper post compatible
- Bolt on cable routing for different drivetrain options
- 100mm PF30 bottom bracket shell
- 31.6mm internal seat tube diameter
- 170mm rear axle spacing
- 44mm head tube for tapered forks
- Available in Medium/Large and Large/Extra Large sizes
- Approx. weight of 2.1kg
So, everything looks fine and dandy in the numbers department but how does it ride….?
We don’t know but negotiations are already underway to get ourselves a Tumshie to play around on and so watch this space…..
Steven Shand said:
“So many people have asked for a fat bike, we decided to make one – and here it is! I’ve built and ridden hundreds of bikes over the years but I can honestly say nothing has put a grin on my face like this one. I absolutely love it. It’s the funnest bike ever!